Thursday, July 13, 2006

I'm going to rant a little 2

First an apology for my grammar yesterday - I did try to change it honestly. For all those offended this is what it should have looked like:

"I'm going to rant a little.

Ever since I was 8 years old, I've been in love with tourism. Going there, seeing it, understanding it, and, more importantly helping others to enjoy it too has been my life for the last over 5o years.

But, its all changed.Once upon a time everybody could benefit from tourism, now its just the chosen few. I don't mean the chosen few tourists, do I? One billion a year within the next three years - that's not a few.

50 years ago the travel and tourism industry got into its stride. Tour operators (a colourful bunch of people I might add) shook the industry into life and MARKETED. People bought their tours and, on the whole, they had a good time.

Here's how it STILL works - accommodation+transfers+transport+marketing+profit = selling price. The market rules so the cheapest price always wins. We don't want to lose the profit (even though we'll probably have to) so we'll screw the others into the ground to get a good sales price.

Survival of the fittest - that's what happens in a market economy. So you and I have now landed up with the toughest customers on the block dominating the travel industry.

Good for us - cheap prices, plenty of travel. Not so good for the resorts? Possibly not.

Enter the world wide web. The story continues...

No comments: